Monday, July 27, 2009

Back to trying contacts

And this could be a big thing for me.

How can something as simple as a pair of contact lenses make a big difference, you ask? Because I see so much better with them. With eyeglasses, my corrected vision is 20/40 to 20/50, which is just bad enough that they don't recommend I get a driver's license. with my RGP (hard) contact lenses, my corrected visual acuity jumps to 20/30 to 20/40 which is okay to drive.

I tried RGP contacts from July 2007 to July 2008, and eventually gave up on them; I couldn't ever seem to wear them for more than 8 hours in a day despite all the eye-rinses for allergies I tried, and despite impeccable proper care and handling of the lenses. They were also expensive, $100 per lens to replace, compared to $40 for a pair of eyeglasses through zennioptical.com....so i finally just said screw it, and put my RGP's into storage. I've still been maintaining the lenses, every one or two months I would clean the lenses, change out the storage cases with new solution, etcetera, to keep them maintained properly.

So, today I got a wild hair and decided to pull them out of mothballs and give them a try.

I need to go by my original wearing schedule which is something to the effect of:

Day 1: 3-4 hours
Day 2: 4-6 hours
Day 3: 6-8 hours
Day 4: 8-10 hours
Day 5: 10-12 hours
Day 6: 12-14 hours
Day 7 14+ Hours (all day wear)

They sure aren't as uncomfortable as the first time I tried wearing them. The thing with RGP's is that they aren't instantly comfortable like soft lenses are, you need a few days to get used to the feel of the hard plastic rubbing on the inside of your eyelids. But I am finding them only slightly uncomfortable at the moment, and I love how well I can see with them compared to eyeglasses. We will see how things progress, I would love to be able to get my eyesight under control enough to be able to finally get a driver's license. At 25 years old it will be long overdue.

No comments:

Post a Comment