Sunday, July 26, 2009

"Back to Reality"

On the final leg of my trip home (Minneapolis/St Paul to Los Angeles International) I was sitting on the Boeing 757-200 jetting my way off into the sunset yesterday evening when I overheard a quick exchange between two passengers making small talk, that I could totally relate with:

Passenger A: "So, are you from Minnesota?"
Passenger B: "No, I live in California. I spent the last week in North Dakota; I was visiting home. Now It's back to reality for me."

I was struck by the way she worded that. She lives in California, but her home is North Dakota.

That sort of explains how I feel...now, family members reading this blog, don't get upset, I mean no disrespect in this, but after graduating from university in the midwest I've been feeling a sort of gravitational pull trying to bring me back "home". Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota, doesn't matter which state, really....I am attracted by the slower country lifestyle, the lack of crime, the friendliness of the people, the wholesome lifestyle out there...contrast that to the California rat-race, the hustle and bustle of the people who have no time for even so much as a smile and a nod in passing to acknowledge one another...The crime, the gangs, the state government in shambles...I could go on and on.

I feel like while my reality is that I live in California, my heart is in the midwest somewhere wandering around in a cornfield, confused. Okay that's a terrible metaphor, but after spending 8 days in Sioux City I am starting to think more and more about seriously looking for work out there. I don't know for sure yet, I need to do a lot more soul-searching.

But for now, it's "Back to Reality" for me. My Iowa trip is over with, and now I need to unpack suitcases, wash clothes, sort through a pile of bills, catch up on to-do lists around here, and figure out which direction I want to steer my life. No pressure, though.

It was a great trip for me, refreshing for the soul to see all my old friends again, and even meet some new ones (Mary, Mancy, Julie, Josh, I'm looking in your direction!) I had a great time and didn't want to leave. Oh, how I hated to leave!

1 comment:

  1. HEY! Not all people in Cali are like that! Not where we live anyway! Just stay away from LA and you will be fine! The small towns are great here and housing prices are great now too! You can't get better weather then here in Cali!
    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete